As Rogers + Hammerstein once said, “June is busting out all over.” It’s so true, and we couldn’t be more ready. Now that we can count on a few solid hours of sunshine each day (and this season of Game Of Thrones is almost over) we’re ready to devote ourselves entirely to ice tea, biking everywhere, and vibing out to the sweet sounds of summer. Speaking of which, this month’s playlist is extra special: it’s all about Northside Festival, Brooklyn’s own music, tech + film discovery fest taking place this June 8 – 14. Listen to a few of our favorite festival acts below and find out where you can see them live in Brooklyn this month.
1. Summer Heat – Yawn: Let’s get things started with Chicago-based Yawn. Such good light indie pop vibes with some tropical, electronic sounds, and even strings, for good measure. See them at Union Pool Thursday, June 11.
2. Open – Rhye: Here’s something smooth for you to groove to: R&B duo Rhye is based in LA but its members hail from Canada and The Netherlands. Beautiful vocals gliding alongside bright synth make this your go-to track for summer lovin’. Catch them with the legendary Neko Case and Majical Cloudz at 50 Kent Ave.
3. Malibu Love Nest – Luna: All your dream pop dreams are going to come true when ’90s stalwarts Luna take the stage for a free show at McCarren Park on June 11. The perfect tunes for summer beach trips, we also get some soft Velvet Underground notes – what’s not to love?
4. Shilpa Ray on Broadway – Shilpa Ray: We’re suckers for a good harmonium, so this tune by Brooklyn-based singer/songwriter Shilpa Ray already has a leg up. A rock-crooner for our era with a killer live show, check her out at Rough Trade on June 14.
5. Brainfreeze – Bully: Something tough and spunky but entirely catchy, Bully’s captured our hearts. This quartet from Nashville’s got the grunge soundtrack to your summer. They’re playing with California darlings Best Coast and Idaho indie stalwarts Built To Spill at 50 Kent Ave on June 13.
6. Adult Diversion – Alvvays: As it just so happens, Canadian surf rockers Alvvays will be on the bill with Bully, Best Coast + Built To Spill as well. Every song could be a single, and every single one is perfect for sunny June. Don’t miss this one.
7. Broken Necks – Eskimeaux: Songwriter Gabrielle Smith has been writing and recording under this moniker since 2007, and we’re glad her brand of sweet, flower punk made it out of her bedroom studio and into our ears. See her and her band at a free show at the Urban Outfitters stage on Bedford Ave, Sunday, June 14.
8. Beach Holiday – Fort Lean: This isn’t the newest track from Brooklyn-based rockers Fort Lean, but man, it’s one of our favorites. The title says it all – bursting with emotion and catchy melodies, it transports us to sand and sea. Next best thing? Catching one of their two Northside shows.
9. Scene Sick – Diet Cig: This the cutest song on this month’s playlist. Some old school surf rock sounds swirled with sweet vocals and the refrain “I just want to dance” make this the perfect tune to dance to alone in your bedroom (or at one of two Northside shows).
10. Muscle Memory – Laura & Greg: We leave you with the beautiful harmonies of Brooklyn indie pop duo Laura & Greg. This song starts offsweet enough and builds into an emotional anthem you won’t be able shake – in the best way, of course. Catch the pair at Black Bear on June 13.
Follow us on Spotify and check out our other cycling playlists.